1. Do I need a permit?

A zoning permit is required for all new dwellings, additions, decks, swimming pools, accessory buildings, and signs, including alterations or repairs of any building or part of same. If in doubt as to whether you need a zoning permit, call the Zoning Officer at 814-692-9800.

You must obtain a sewage permit before you will be issued a zoning permit for construction of a new home. Sewage permits are required for all new and replacement septic systems or any minor or major repairs. To obtain a sewage permit, contact the Sewage Enforcement Officer at 814-231-3056.

If your request for a Zoning Permit is denied by the Zoning Officer, you may request a hearing by the Zoning Review Board.

A driveway permit is required for constructing driveways, including widening and changing or modifying a driveway entrance. Call the Zoning Officer before beginning any improvements to your driveway.

2. What is Riff Raff collection and when does it take place?

Riff Raff collection is a Centre Region effort to collect and dispose of items that are not generally suitable for pickup by trash collectors. Halfmoon Township DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THIS PROGRAM THROUGH THE CENTRE REGION PROGRAM. However, the Township does hold Riff Raff Days for two days in May of each year. Residents can bring their Riff Raff to the Maintenance Building located behind Autumn Meadow Park and staff will be available to help residents unload.

3. How do I get approval for building a new subdivision?

Plans for the development of land or beginning of a subdivision within Halfmoon Township must be reviewed by the Zoning Officer, Engineer, CRPA Planner, Fire Company and in some cases PENN DOT. Following the staff review process the plan is sent to the Planning Commission for its review. After receiving Planning Commission recommendations, the plan is forwarded to the Board of Supervisors for final action. This is accomplished with an Application for review of Land or Subdivision Development Plan.

4. How do I get an address for my house?

An address application is required to obtain a legal address that will be used by the Postal Service and 911 Emergency Services. Address numbers must be clearly displayed on all homes and businesses so they can be identified easily by emergency personal under all weather conditions. Please note, we do not issue addresses to vacant lots.  You will first need to submit your zoning application before any address is issued.

5. Can I share the cost of maintaining a driveway or roadway that I share with my neighbor?

A shared roadway and maintenance agreement is required if you share the cost of maintaining a roadway or driveway that you share with your neighbor.

6. When can I view a Halfmoon Township Board of Supervisors (BOS) meeting?

The Halfmoon Township Board of Supervisors meetings are aired after the Thursday of the BOS meetings at the following times:

Saturday 4:00 p.m.
Sunday 8:00 p.m.
Tuesday 6:00 a.m.
Wednesday 12:30 a.m.

on Channel 7 CGTV Government Access (Xfinity) or can be viewed anytime by clicking this link.

7. Who do I contact for a dead deer on the roadway?

When there is a dead deer on a Township Road you will need to contact the PA State Game Commission either by phone at 1-570-398-4744 or by email at pgc-ncregion@pa.gov
If the deer is along a State Highway, you can contact PennDot using this website https://customercare.penndot.gov/?OpenForm

Centre County Recycling FAQs

Visit the Centre County Recycling FAQ page by clicking HERE