Halfmoon Township got its name from crude representations of half moons found carved on the trees marking the course of an Indian trail that passed through the valley.
- 1784 Abraham Elder, the first settler, migrated from Franklin County and settled upon a tract of land in the eastern part of Halfmoon Township near the present Village of Stormstown.
- 1796 At the Quaker’s monthly meeting in Warrington, York County, they appointed a committee to visit the Quakers in Halfmoon. They reported at the Nov. 1796 Business Meeting “They are of the mind that it would be reasonable to grant their request of holding a Meeting there.”
- 1802 Halfmoon Township was established and included all the land west to the Moshannon Creek, including what is now Philipsburg. It also included what is now known as Taylor and Worth Townships.
- 1803 Abraham Elder applied for a tavern license in August. His tavern was the stopping place for a large volume of travelers going to and from Pittsburgh. The town was well-known as Elder’s.
- 1812 David Storm, the first “developer,” recorded a plat of lots in the western part of the village. He named this plat Walkerville and began selling lots.
- 1813 An Amish community was established by Christian Yoder six miles southwest of Stormstown.
- 1835 Caleb Way began selling lots and, for a while, the east end of the village was known as Wayville. Sometime in the mid-19th century, the village became known as Stormstown.
- 1838 Exodus of the Amish from Halfmoon township. A burial place, set aside by Yoder, has a tombstone with inscription “Burial site of the early Amish Mennonite settlers of the 18th century” and has family names listed.
- 1855 Loveville was founded by James Love, who purchased the grist and saw mills and built a store. Later Loveville had a post office, school and a carriage shop.
- 1867 On April 7, a disastrous fire broke out in an overheated stovepipe in the village tavern. The flames spread rapidly throughout Stormstown and twenty-six buildings, including the entire business portion of the town, were destroyed. Sixteen families were left homeless. It was a catastrophe from which the village of Stormstown never fully recovered.